Powder coating has been offered at Special Products & Mfg., Inc. since 1984. Cleanliness is the key to successful powder coating, so our system is fully conveyor operated, utilizing a six-stage pre-treatment system with separate dry-off and cure ovens to insure the best quality possible.
Powder coating is an eco-friendly method of painting that requires no solvents and generates little or no hazardous material wastes. The coating is applied as a dry powder, and then cured to a solid, durable coating using heat or ultraviolet light.
The end result is an attractive finish that is harder and more durable than conventional paint. Powder Coating can be used to create a wide range of finishes and textures, some of which are impossible to achieve with any other process.
Powder coating is typically the finalizing process of part production; however, we also offer contract powder coating for parts or products that are customer supplied.
General Powder Coating Capabilities
Powder Coating and Contract Powder Coating Offered
- 6 Stage Iron Phosphate Pretreatment
- Reverse Osmosis Final Rinse
- Pre-Bake for removal of moisture
- Manual and Automated Powder Booth Operation
- Reclamation System
- Final Bake up to 450F Degrees
- Special Powder Coating Capabilities
- Over 1,000 Colors Available!
- Custom Color Matching available!
- Spray On Applications (Batch and Automated)
- Fluidized Bed Applications (Batch)
- Insulation Powder Coating
- Masking of all threaded inserts and tapped holes
- Masking of grounded areas
- Insulating Powder Coating (Spraying and Dipping)
- Part marking
- Assembly and Test
- Value Added Engineering
- Color assistance/optimization
- Custom Racking
Our powder coating process consists of a conveyor belt that transports products through six pre-stage treatments, next through the powder booths (where powder is manually applied), and finally through the curing oven which hardens the powder to an attractive finish. Booths capable of going to fully automated mode with robotics.
Quality Control department utilizes special equipment to thoroughly review products for quality before they are shipped to you, including but not limited to Thickness Testers, Gloss Meters, Cross Hatch Testing, Drop Testing, Color Matching, Chemical Rub Testing, and Sacrificial Test Chips with each batch of parts coated..
In compliance with and certified to ISO 9001:2015.
- ProEngineer (Pro-E)
- DXF, IGES, STEP for direct importation into our CAD systems.
- PDF, TIF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, and EPS (for graphics)
- Industry standard tolerances apply
- Typical coating from 2 mils to 4 mils thick
- Thicker coatings for insulating buss bars (up to 60+ mils)
Typical Annual Volumes
- From prototypes to 10,000+ pieces annually
- Discrete orders
- Blanket orders
- Quarterly Buys
- Annual Contracts
- Maximum Width: 42″ (w/ length of 60″ or less)
- Maximum Height: 54″
- Maximum Length: 10′ (w/ width of 12″ or less)
- Maximum Weight: 30 lbs/ft of length (maximum of 150 lbs)
A part cannot be the maximum in all directions. Accommodating the maximum length is very dependent on hanging locations. To process parts over 60″ long, it must be possible to hang in approximately the center of the part with 54″ to 60″ between the hooks.
Maximum length can be increased to 120 inches under certain conditions and must be reviewed on a case by case basis prior to quoting.
Maximum height can be increased to 60 inches under certain conditions and must be reviewed on a case by case basis prior to quoting.
Maximum width can be increased slightly under certain conditions and must be reviewed on a case by case basis prior to quoting.
- Customer furnished products
- Buss Bars
- Sheet Metal Parts
- Mild Steel
- Stainless Steel
- 20,000 Sq. Ft. Fully Automatic Powder Coating Area with Controlled Environment
- Fully Conveyorized Powder Coat Line
- Six Stage Automatic Cleaning and Phosphate System
- PH Tester, (see Quality Control)
- (2) Automatic Powder Application Booths
- Manual Powder Application Booth
- Conveyorized and Batch Curing Ovens
- 42″ x 24″ Trin-Mac Cabinet Sandblaster/Glassbeader
- 1 and 6 Cubic Ft. Burr-Off Vibratory Deburr Machines
- Torex 12.2 Cubic Ft. Toroidal Bowl Vibratory Deburr Machine with Unload and Separator
- Silkscreening, Rubber Stamping, Part Marking
- Steelman 6′ x 7′ x 10′ High Temperature Baking Oven for Silkscreening and Powdercoating